Welcome to our wiki! Read the instructions and get going!

Bo D Meeting 06.05.2014

Meeting started at 21:30

Participants: claudiaab, railslide, wind

Present online: crumbkind, steinwinde, james_oder_dave, thorgal67, duesseldorf, simison, hkroger, leoalone, matthias, sitatara, polyglot, mahouni20000, beatnick, nhtin, two guests

Approval of last report: yes

Note: www.bewelcome.org was down during the meeting due to a hard disk failure. Therefore the original agenda was not accessible and some volunteers could not attend as much as they would have otherwise.

Agenda

'

Report about accomplished tasks

  • work on http://www.bewelcome.org/wiki/Checklists_for_Board_of_Directors (all)
  • Starting a first visualization draft of the organigram. - mahouni200000 IN PROGRESS
  • finding out about domain name transfer (Claudia) DONE
  • posting in BV group about candidates for volunteer coordination (railslide) DONE
  • posts in BV group and communication group about communication coordination (claudiaab + railslide + wind)
  • post about structure in communication group (claudiaab + railslide + wind)
  • work on newsletter (all)
  • ask duesseldorf to help out for newsletter (claudiaab) DONE
  • ask graham for short report about cork hospitality camp (wind)
  • ask octobertales for short report about lyon unconference (claudiaab) DONE
  • contact sysadmins about heartbleed bug and other issues (railslide) DONE
  • create BoD group (wind) DONE
  • find a delegate to go to Utrecht to check out cooperation with IFISO (wind)

Pending BeVolunteer applications

None

Communication coordination

Thoargal67 has agreed to coordinate the communication team. The discussions around the newsletter showed that there are quite a few volunteers interested in contributing.

Newsletter

The http://www.bewelcome.org/wiki/Workpage_Newsletter_0214 is almost ready to be translated and then sent. There are plans to include pictures in the next newsletter.

Communication of BoD with BV and BW community

postponed - more input needed from members

Volunteer coordination

so far no success. Ideas:

  • remind to those we have asked to about it
  • bump the post
  • look for other ways

Development Team

There is more acitivity on the dev list, a new release is being tested on alpha, new volunteers are interested in participating, there are general discussions about how to continue with the code for BW.

reports from other teams

  • potential legal team: we have an expert who agreed to work on the statutes.

Sysadmin situation

We have had some 13 hours downtime recently and the sysadmin situation proved difficult once more. In the course of the down time access was given to our new (and old) sysadmin Hannu (hkroger), so we have one more sysadmin on board now. Just before the meeting another downtime took place, this time quite severe: hard disk failure. So the sysadmin situation was not discussed extensively, focus was put on getting the site online again. Before the meeting a new server (hetzner) had to be ordered, the so far unused server PONY was cancelled.

We should provide an emergency plan for situations like this (see below)

Emergency plans

(from long-term tasks: Write an emergency plan for sudden influx of members, technical part + volunteer part.)

  • Can those be published in wiki or is it too sensitive?

BeWelcome site down

Emergency plan for BeWelcome site down hkroger suggested that instead of focusing on number of servers, we should setup some safety networks and processes so that we can avoid situations like this; we should have monitoring system, like nagions installed which would tell about errors before it's too late; we should have all passwords and encryption keys distributed to enough people. We lost some 5-8 hours of bewelcome website data and the bevolunteer website We talked some more about how to restore the Bevolunteer website.

Sudden influx of new members

  • technical part
  • volunteer part

Other

Task list

Immediate tasks

  • work on the comm news (all - right after the meeting)
  • schedule emergency plan meeting (Claudia - framadate)
  • work out details for IFISO conference with delegate (abyssin, wind)
  • ask communication team to work out an internal decision making process (railslide - thorgal67)
  • make sure that we are using a safe version of openssl on the new server (railslide, claudiaab)

Longer-term tasks (derived from the GA)

  • Take care about the new wording for the 'Help the project' item in the side menu (make the possibility to donate and to volunteer more visible) - in progress: Discussion started in BeWelcome communications group. Implementation depends on communications group and developers - can hopefully be finished by March 2014. - (sitatara)
  • Write an emergency plan for sudden influx of members - open - chmac, guaka take care of technical part, the Volunteer Coordinators about the volunteer part.
  • Set up a Spam Check Team (or have it ready once we need it) - open - not so urgent right now
  • Review the rules for the BeActive campaign after the first round - open - will be reviewed once the current campaign has been completed
  • Feature one volunteering team per newsletter - in progress: Discussion started in BeWelcome communications group. First newsletter featuring a volunteer team (in the form of an interview with a volunteer) will be the newsletter in February. (OPEN)
  • Set up a job board - open - The Member Communication Team is currently re-writing the Get Active page. We will first review how that helps recruiting more volunteers and afterwards discuss the necessity and feasibility of a job board. (OPEN)
  • Think about an organigram to visualize the working of different teams, BV and BW - open - Task for volunteer coordinators and member communication team. Can be dealt with after finishing the new Get Active page. Approximate time frame for publishing an organigram: April 2014. (OPEN)
  • Review Privacy Policy (and check with lawyer) - in progress: thorgal67 started a first draft and will soon (~ end of January) open a wiki page to allow more participation.
  • Explore possibilities for cooperation with other international organizations (e. g. student organizations) (especially to promote BeWelcome in non-European countries) - in progress: Discussion started in BoD group: http://www.bewelcome.org/groups/1709/forum/s9898-Co_operation_with_international_organisations__non_profit_ - might make sense to discuss in the BeWelcome forum to get more input. (wind)
  • Explore the needs of local communities (invitation tools?) - in progress: There will be an unconference in Lyon on this topic. (thorgal67, pablobd)
  • Decide on the need of an ombudsman and define the role in such case - in progress: An ombudsman has been appointed. The new ombudsman is user:neo82. He will start a wiki page to outline the role.

Meeting ended: CET 23:37

approved by: Railslide, wind - Fri, 25 Jul 14 00:42:23 +0200

BoD_Meeting_06.05.2014