planetcruiser Meinhard Benn

Please read our Profile Comment Guidelines before writing comments.

Profile

Good
from Ivers0n to planetcruiser - 5 months ago

We traveled togethe to the ga in Fürth

His name is Meinhard he is an anarchist... haha
I felt we have a similar relaxed attitude towards life which made me feel very confortable with him. He lets people talk, which probably means he is a good listener, or maybe he is just thinking about other stuff ;)

Profile

Good
from duesseldorf to planetcruiser - 5 months ago

We met at the BeWelcome GA 2013 in Fürth.

Had heard a lot about this tech guy during the last years but only now we met in real life. I higly appreciate all the effort he puts into BW! During the BW General Assembly he added some very valuable input to the discussions about statutes and the technical background for BW.

Profile

Good
from leopoldr to planetcruiser - 6 months ago

We met at the GA 2013 in Fürth.

Meinhard is a very active BV/BW member, we met at the GA 2013. We did not have enough time to talk, but we will meet again - sooner or later!

Profile

Good
from saj2007 to planetcruiser - 1 year ago

Kuala Lumpur 03.2013

We had a nice day in K.L. - lunch, sightseeing, "jalan jalan" (which means just stroll around) :)

Profile

Good
from mastermind to planetcruiser - 1 year ago

On my couch :)

I've hosted planetcruiser 3 days on a last minute / last second request. Nice guy, hope to see him again / host him again. He is a specialist about energy saving systems :)

Profile

Good
from TOOMPHISEAK to planetcruiser - 1 year ago

Khaosan road Bangkok

WE spent a time together dinner and hang out at Khaosan road ,Bangkok

Profile

Good
from lazyshaman to planetcruiser - 1 year ago

Met in the depths of a bacchanalian binge at a wee summer sun festival in summer korea.

A true mensch. If you know this word then nothing more need be said. If you do not then there exists a mythical website called Google that will put you on the right track! I've had Mein stay with me for one night on his way to the land of the rising sun, and I stayed with him (along with a friend of mine) for a weekend up in Seoul. On both occasions he was nothing more than a true rascal of a gentleman. Boom!

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to lazyshaman
1 year ago

i was expecting no evil in the pre-hell of what were to be one of the wildest adventures i had in south-korea, the korea burn, when this animal jumps on me with all the love and affection a body-painted totally out-of-it man can give, calling me his long lost polish brother.

it says "lunatic" in his self-description.. what else do i need to say? maybe this: sheep skin! drunken master! spiritual wunderkind! party shiva!

with great respects, looking forward to slope the ski slopes next weekend together. good to have you here, bro.

from Amdoshimo to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to Amdoshimo
1 year ago

we met at a cs meeting in ulaanbaatar in june 2012

she is a very friendly, observing and curious person. i greatly enjoyed going on a shaman discovery mission to a house in a ger settling and to a remote forest with 12 shamans at summer solar solstice together. see you somewhere out there! :)

Profile

Good
from lilykim to planetcruiser - 1 year ago

"Co-up"(Co-working place in Seoul)

"Beyond any possibility of expression in words..."

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to lilykim
1 year ago

ejang from the co-working space http://co-up.com/ was kind enough to introduce me to this wonderful person :)

the first impression i got of her was through her project "dormsurfing", a sort of future airbnb for student dorms in south-korea during summer and winter breaks. very impressive! good luck with the project!

she is a person full of surprises, her smile can kill you, so can her angry look, hehe. we became close friends during my stay in seoul so far. thanks for showing me around the city and making me understand the korean society a bit more.

Profile

Good
from SweChristopher to planetcruiser - 2 years ago

Bath house in Seoul, South Korea

Hello!
I had a really nice conversation with you and appreciate you sharing this website with me. Great to hear your stories on your traveling trips
Hope you managed to get down to Jeju and start your cykling trip!
Take care!

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to SweChristopher
1 year ago (Last updated: 1 year ago)

this curious cat tiptoed around the jjimjilbang (public bathing house) that i stayed in at the time. i showed him my room and had an inspiring chat with him in the pc room upstairs later.

if i ever fall sick, i want this man to be my doctor. :) medical treatment backed by a solid philosophy of trust and independent travel, you don't get that everywhere, right? good luck on your path, christopher! and people always meet at least twice in their lives. uh, sounds like a threat. no, it's just a german proverb, so no worries.. ;)

Profile

Good
from coleur3 to planetcruiser - 2 years ago

just cruised into my small apartment with his handy bicycle with help of a osm.org map I´ve send him before. I´ve made the experiance that a local map helps everyone for easy orientation.

I have hosted Meinhard for a month and spent a splended time with Meinhard here in Ulaanbaatar. In the same way he is quite serious about his social commitments to all around him, he is a cool and super friendly networker.
I hope to see him in his Istanbul residence another time ;)

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to coleur3
1 year ago

i stayed at his place in ulaanbaatar for almost a month. and yes, his openstreetmap contributions made it very easy to find his place! :)

wow, his hospitality is impressive. straight away he offered me to "get comfortable, and stay as long as you like". his apartment was a perfect spot for working on bewelcome, getting nice home-made breads and cheese, so i made it my base for my stay in mongolia. uli also connected me to an inspiring and fun bunch of (social) entrepreneurs, which made my time in UB a very unique experience. thanks for having me over, kollege! :)

Profile

Good
from guaka to planetcruiser - 2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

Berlin Beach Camp 200x? through Dante (of course :) Stayed many times with me at different locations in Brussels, organized a BW hack weekend near Berlin that I attended.

He does dishes, (mostly) doesn't fly, hitchhikes, takes crazy distance trains, codes, manages the BW Rox releases, almost employed me, makes the worst jokes that still make you laugh, wears the same clothes all the time, doesn't smell bad, rides a tiny bicycle. Host him, meet him, treat him!

from SebastianHelms to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to SebastianHelms
2 years ago

we had the privilege to grow out of our adolescent shell together in the same lovely and quiet town schwerin

where there is the seb bird, crazy ideas will be dropped by the minute. he is a clicker, a disc thrower, a smiler, a punner, a hitchhiker, a cyclist, a mischief, a bum, a user, a creator, a dreamer, a rocknrolla, a torrenter, a slagger, a super star in his own and other people's universe. host and BeHosted!

profile picture please!

from sniky to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to sniky
2 years ago

she went to the same school as me and is also a good friend of my family. she hosted me in schwerin a while back and i hosted her in istanbul in spring 2012

hm, how to put that into words.. she is curious, creative with moving and still images, sensitive, observing, pretty (hehe), emotional, active, travel-hungry (recently?) and a very caring human being. i am glad we are the type of friends that we are. :) she is a good guest and host at the same time. see you out there, yvi!

Profile

Good
from lupochen to planetcruiser - 7 years ago

comment date February 26, 2007, 4:35 pm (UTC)
WE met at a HC Meeting in Hamburg in 2006.

One of the nice persons I would like to see more often but can't because they're always on the run ;) Meinhard seems very active, motivated and all in all a good fellow.

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to lupochen
2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

We met at the HC beach camp in Berlin 2005 for the first time. Or was it 2006? :)

Micha is one of the most hospitable people I know. I think he hosted more people in his beautiful flat in Berlin than all the hostels in his neighbourhood combined. :-P I am glad to be friends with him and his flatmates.

Profile

Good
from eiland to planetcruiser - 2 years ago

WEll.. I wasnt really his host, he was just joining the Biketoru I organised... but as there is not a checkbox for that, I tok the liberty to... ah well...

Meinhard is Bewelcome pioneer, but I guess he is dreaming of selling it off one day just like Fancy from CS did... or at least I would!
Ehm... sorry, my girlfriend is sitting naked on the couch so im just writing whatever to look busy...

Aarh... never know what to do with blank text boxes....

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to eiland
2 years ago

i believe we met during one or two ecotopia camps in the 2000-naughties, and then went on a biketour in croatia together

he is entertaining, passionate, intense sometimes (hehe) and funny, if you share his passion for situation comedy (and writing pretty unrelated things into form fields that carry too serious sounding names). irony, yes, that's the word i was looking for. :) yet with a good heart and strive for making the world a better place for everyone

Profile

Good
from jtl2s to planetcruiser - 2 years ago

Stayed with him in Sighisoara, Romania

I had such a good time hanging out with Meinhard in Sighisoara! He makes you feel comfortable from the start and is really engaging. Just a good guy with a kind heart and adventurous spirit! Good luck on your uocoming trip and keep in touch!

from guersel to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to guersel
2 years ago

We met at an art class on the island that was my home for the last 6 months: Büyükada :)

It's good to see more islanders here! Gürsel has not hosted me yet, but from the conversations we had, I can see that she is a very warm and welcoming person. Painting is a passion of hers and I enjoyed being drawn by her during one of the classes. I yet have to see the result of that class actually.. ;) Enjoy hosting people from around the world through BeWelcome!

Profile

Good
from abyssin to planetcruiser - 2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

He was one of my hosts in London

Meinhard counted and still does count as one of the most inspiring people I’ve met for how he lives in a way that is consistent with his ideas. I hope we’ll meet again someday.

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to abyssin
2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

In London, through a common friend

Grégoire is a kind and humble person with a great eye for "magic moments". When he stayed at my place in London last year we didn't get the chance to talk much, but I'm sure we will catch up further down the trail :)

from itstime to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to itstime
2 years ago

We stayed together at a friend's house on my island Büyükada. We cooked, ate, hiked, talked and wiped water off the floor together, after a pipe broke in the house. :)

He is a gentle, attentive, humorous, smart and smiling person. :) I enjoyed talking to him, things really took off when he told me about an idea some friends and him had a few years ago about a hospitality project in Turkey similar to BeWelcome, with the same strong non-profit values. Now, here he is, eager to contribute - starting with translations to Turkish! :)

Profile

Good
from bikepunk to planetcruiser - 2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

Berlin Summer Camp 2011

Meinhard is a kind person and he's doing a big work with the BW developer team. I'm always glad to find him on IRC or in real life ;-)

Profile

Good
from matthias to planetcruiser - 2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

I don't remember exactly where we actually met the first time, probably on one of the HC camps which were quite popular in the "old days". Well, we met many times, he lived for a while with us and i am sure our paths will cross again next year.

A very kind, sympathic and generous fellow, one of the "neo nomads", living a free live and writing free software. Always good to have him around.A very kind, sympathic and generous fellow, one of the "neo nomads", living a free live and writing free software. Always good to have him around. ***

from izzi01 to planetcruiser

Profile

Bad
from planetcruiser to izzi01
7 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

comment date August 18, 2007, 3:00 pm (UTC)
we never met.

i got the same message. :( please note, no matter much hardship you suffer - bewelcome is not a dating site. there are sites especially set up for this purpose, you will find your dream prince there! :)

from juliagarnew to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to juliagarnew
2 years ago

We grew up in the same town, and were introduced by a common friend :)

Julia is a good friend of mine. Over the years I became friends with her family and we saw each other passing through different phases in life. Now she finally overtook me and is currently carrying a baby! :) She has a calm and welcoming attitude and a healthy criticism towards things that don't seem right. Host and be hosted! :)

Profile

Good
from enathol to planetcruiser - 2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

In Zeyneps party, i came to streets to pick you up and acted as it wasnt me :)

Meinhard, is one of the most positive persons i met via traveller communites. We meet or encounter one way or other and everytime, i feel very good around him. And i bet we will meet again and again :)
Naya is a very good headquarter.

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to enathol
2 years ago

i believe it was a harp concert in büyükada.. :)

don't let his membership in the c$ group "Sick, Twisted And Offensive Jokes" fool you. he is actually a really nice guy! :) if you are lucky you will meet this knowledgeable man sitting at a cafe near the port of büyükada, "researching for his new novel", as he calls talking about all walks of life to friends and strangers alike. he will make you laugh, no doubt about that. if not, you are not human. :)

from meinhard_test to planetcruiser

Neutral
from planetcruiser to meinhard_test
2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

test

from bennolin to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to bennolin
2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

interesting question when talking about your family. :)

well, she is my mother, so what can i say apart from good things of course! i'm glad she is such an avid adaptor of all things internet. already 10 years ago she started scanning my letters and sending them to me by email - how cool is that! :) make sure to visit her, heino and the dogs in their wooden house near the lake in pinnow!

nunja, sie ist meine mutter, was soll man da gross sagen, abgesehen von positiven dingen natuerlich! ich freue mich, dass sie mit begeisterung alles annimmt was mit dem internet zu tun hat. schon vor 10 jahren hat sie damit begonnen, mir meine briefe einzuscannen und per email zuzuschicken - wie cool ist das bitte? :) besucht sie, heino und die hunde in ihrem holzhaus am see in pinnow!

Profile

Good
from steinwinde to planetcruiser - 6 years ago

comment date January 22, 2008, 10:38 pm (UTC)
I met Meinhard several times in Hamburg and also traveled to Belgium with him, where we spent a weekend with BeWelcome activists.

He's a non-conformist, living freestyle, actually the first computer geek I met, who distances himself from car drivers and cell phone users. An instantly sympathetic person with good humour. Absolutely trustworthy. I add myself to the list of persons, who hope to get the chance to meet him again despite his roaming life.

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to steinwinde
2 years ago (Last updated: 2 years ago)

At a BeWelcome meeting I'm sure :) - and then again and again between Berlin, Hamburg, Antwerp and London

He let me stay for weeks at his place in London, and for months at his place in Hamburg. I think it's fair to say that he is a very generous and giving person. Good to have you here, Felix! :)

from murderousmoped to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to murderousmoped
2 years ago

the bewelcome forum :) - we didn't meet in real life yet

despite the scary username i believe he is a nice person. ;) he helps bewelcome to be a better place for the visually impaired by pointing out things we can't *see* - thank you, didier!

from lkasper to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to lkasper
3 years ago

several ecotopia camps between holland and moldova :)

she is a gentle, smiling, peaceful, curious person - a fellow ecotopian! i hope to meet you further down the trail, somewhere, some time..

from discursives to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to discursives
4 years ago

first we met at the nomad base unconference http://sharewiki.org/en/SHE_goes_MAD in 2009 and then he stayed at our london squat for a few days in summer 2010

once started alex is unstoppable! ;) full of energy, ideas, idealism and humour. peer-to-peer culture is his life, so he embodies the hospitality exchange spirit and will surely be a good guest and host to you

Profile

Good
from morlaa to planetcruiser - 5 years ago

comment date May 16, 2009, 10:23 pm (UTC)
first on eyfa-wintermeeting in pula - since then several times on occasions like that

great guy - i wish i would like hitch-hiking as much as he does, then there would be many more cars stopping for me - but i still preferre biking...looking forward to share some laughs with u next time we meet!

Profile

Good
from stephang to planetcruiser - 6 years ago

comment date September 13, 2008, 11:55 pm (UTC)
Here and there in interplanetary space.

Planetcruiser manages to travel with less than 5kg of belongings. I find that's something worth mentioning.

Profile

Good
from lennartfeijen to planetcruiser - 6 years ago

comment date May 15, 2008, 10:35 pm (UTC)
I know him from Berlin Beach Camp 2007.

Profile

Good
from sipp to planetcruiser - 6 years ago

comment date January 22, 2008, 6:24 pm (UTC)
in antwerp

he is a nice monkey!

Profile

Good
from astralpilot to planetcruiser - 7 years ago

comment date September 13, 2007, 2:23 pm (UTC)
cádiz, andalucia

thanks for popping by in cádiz during my stay there. i guess we had a really nerdy time ;)

Profile

Good
from philipp to planetcruiser - 7 years ago

comment date June 29, 2007, 8:56 pm (UTC)
Hamburg and Berlin meetings and beach camps 2006/07

One of the rare persons who lives his beliefs and not only talks about. Pleasent to have him around, but difficult to get hold of him as he is always on the move.
Meinhard is one of the persons I have spent far too less time with and that I would like to meet and chat again soon.

from nachtigaller to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to nachtigaller
7 years ago

comment date June 29, 2007, 8:25 pm (UTC)
He is a friend of a friend from my hometown Schwerin/Germamy.

He is a good-hearted fellow with a passion for sport. He once gave me a healing massage for my aching knee - thanks Hannes! :)

Profile

Good
from kiwiflave to planetcruiser - 7 years ago

comment date April 26, 2007, 2:21 pm (UTC)
We met at HC meeting in Hamburg, summer 2006, and maybe also at the beach camps...

First impression counts most, people say. Active, open minded, a traveller. What else? I will find out, hopefully, sooner or later :)

Profile

Good
from flohfish to planetcruiser - 7 years ago

comment date March 8, 2007, 12:47 pm (UTC)
Berlin Beach Camp 2006

Great guy! It´s so nice to know that I am not the only Peter Pan in Germany!!! Brothers in mind! Not more to say!

from dante to planetcruiser

Profile

Good
from planetcruiser to dante
7 years ago

comment date February 26, 2007, 3:21 pm (UTC)
Hospitality Club summer camp Berlin 2006. And just today I got a message from him telling me about BeWelcome being open for registrations.

We spend a few days and weeks together floating around Berlin and Ecotopia Slovakia together and I feel that already then a strong bond between us has developed. We inspired each other with new ideas, views and realities. See you somewhere out there, Dante! :)