I want to put online the new version of the forum
This mean that during some hours the forum will be disabled
JeanYves (using BwAdmin profile)
posted 2008/11/16 15:44 Visibility: World
posted 2008/11/16 17:51 Visibility: World
posted 2008/11/18 14:45 Visibility: World
The "categories", "continents" and "tag cloud" are still above the forum posts, making the user scroll down one or two screens to get to the posts. There were design proposals that were fixing that. I think everyone agreed that it was a bummer.
posted 2008/11/18 17:11 Visibility: World
@Julien : yes I haven't touch it, but I still agree it is to change.
It is more a layout problem than something else and it is not exactly my area.
@Micha/Peter/Andreas/Philipp probably one of you has an idea how to improve this, which design to choose ?
Something to expand/shrink the By Categories / By Contient / By tags ?
posted 2008/11/28 04:37 Visibility: World
posted 2008/11/28 11:28 Visibility: World
Your wish shall be my command :-)
It s online. And you are right: We should communicate all the improvements and great features better!
posted 2009/01/18 15:40 Visibility: World
Some bad feedback on the new forum version:
1) It's annoying that in Safari-Browser a weird JS-script seems to make it impossible to create a new forum post. It selects the language-input no matter what other input you'Re clicking at.
2) It's a pity that you can't update your tags for a post. That would be actually a reason for me to edit an entry. I'm not so much interested in correcting the post at all.
3) I'm still dreaming of a forum search.
4) What about the forum categories that were promised? ;)
posted 2009/01/19 09:31 Visibility: World
@Micha, about your feedback for new forum :
1) the Safari Browser problem : since I don't use Safari I cannot really fix it here, may be the best is that you could to do it your self ? (in addition, you are far more better than me for JS issues)
2) Updating tags : Currently, I've got a flu so I am not working this week, probably between two fever burst I will find a way to fix it.
3) Forum Search : for now we don't have. The google forum searcg doesn't work anymore, I havent find why. In future we need a forum search (especially because we will have private posts for groups for example not reachable by google)
4) forum categories : I worked on it but did not succeed to finish. I will re-open the box
posted 2009/01/19 17:41 Visibility: World
what do you mean by "the google forum search isn't working anymore? As far as I can see we just need to add the search field back as the search itself is working fine:
Any other problems with this?
posted 2009/01/19 23:10 Visibility: World
I've tried to make a new post and all I got is an amazing amount of mysql-errors:
posted 2009/01/19 23:27 Visibility: World
Hmm. maybe the problem was an original german post with english as choosen language ... no idea, tags and locations doesn't work either.
posted 2009/01/20 09:11 Visibility: World
About searching the forum, with the help of Philipp we restore a Google Custom search, an internal search feature is still to do
@Midsch you pointed a bug (again ...), I have made a change which should allow to fix it, but I am not sure about the way you use to reach this situation. Could you retry the thing you did with tags ?
posted 2009/01/20 18:18 Visibility: World by midsch
last edited on 2009/01/23 22:22 by midsch
When I try to edit this post:
*The field for tags isn't editable (yes, js enabled)
*I can choose a location, but it's not stored after submit
I retried right now here:
* Tags work fine
* Location isn't stored as well
posted 2009/01/21 21:05 Visibility: World by jeanyves
last edited on 2009/01/21 22:08 by jeanyves
@Midsh I succeed to have the location working again, one limit however, the only location you can associate with a post are the one already in the database (they are search for in the geoname_cache table)
This means that you can only use places where there is already a BW member
posted 2009/01/21 21:31 Visibility: World
Yes, geotagging works again for the posts!
posted 2009/01/26 08:26 Visibility: World
On the first sight I really don t like the categories like we have them now.
We don t have a lot of activity in this forum anyway and this wasy it gets more splitted and Iits harder to find where the last post was made.
posted 2009/02/02 18:17 Visibility: World
* I want the old "last post" view back
* I want the usual down from old to new sorting of comments
ps: and wtf is a nasty google script doing on the "reply to a forum post"-page?!? as these google-stuff is the reason to switch off https it's a serious security issue.
posted 2009/02/02 20:19 Visibility: World by pausanias
last edited on 2009/02/02 21:20 by pausanias
posted 2009/02/03 08:37 Visibility: World by jeanyves
last edited on 2009/02/03 09:39 by jeanyves
There is still a lastpost link in the left bar.
This new forum first page was a long wished thing by layout designors. May be the best thing is to offer a way for people to choose (the default choice beeing to define, this is abig question).
I could prepare a preference for this, the problem is that too much preferences can be confusing, for my self, I think that active people of BW forum (2-5% of the members) will appreciate it.
I think that in future we will have several options for forum first page and it will be highly customizable.
One thing : intuitive customisation is very very tricky, especially in this multi age, multi language, multi client platform context.
Tell me please if you think a preference here is a good idea (a choice : by last post/ by Category/ With or Without tag Cloud). I hope it will not be to complex
About the order of the post, the default should be first one a the top, it seems there is a bug, with the button allowing to resort them, i will look at it
posted 2009/02/03 20:15 Visibility: World
I missed some of the discussions and wasn't logged in a lot in the last month. So just a few questions on the new forum:
1. why is the tag cloud completely gone? I found it quite nice, (it helps for tagging to see what is there already) - maybe not in a very prominent place...
2. I personally find it a bit strange to have to read from bottom to top instead of the other way round - is there a reason for this new approach?
3. It's difficult to find back posts - not talking about the search only, since we agree that there should be one, it's just a matter of programmers' time and health (get better, JY! :) )- but also about the categories. Didn't we have more before? It looks a bit boring and uninteresting to me at the moment - maybe that is not only because of(missing) categories, not sure...
posted 2009/02/03 20:17 Visibility: World
posted 2009/02/04 21:35 Visibility: World by feuerdaemon
last edited on 2009/02/04 22:36 by feuerdaemon
I am missing most the "last forum posts" on the bewelcome start page and the short overview. I can live with the forum category's, when visit the forum. But a "shortcut" from the startpage to the last forum posts view would be a great help. Otherwise the discussion will die within some days imo.
posted 2009/02/05 11:01 Visibility: World
I agree we need to change something. At the beginning several people push for a "by categories" first page.
I have started a poll (good opportunity to test the new poll tool) http://www.bewelcome.org/polls/contribute/1 just for the question "last post" or "by category by default"
I will revert the confusing way of sorting posts
For tag cloud, I think this can be discussed in a second period
posted 2009/02/05 21:11 Visibility: World by jeanyves
last edited on 2009/02/05 22:11 by jeanyves
ARGH! there was a bug with the poll (caused by some layout improvment)
I have fixed it (and checked : it works). Problem is that my only choice was to deleted the contribution and to vote again. Sorry for the two other contributors.
Thanks to Ben who noticed this big stupid bug
posted 2009/02/07 17:59 Visibility: World by matthias
last edited on 2009/02/07 19:00 by matthias
posted 2009/02/07 21:32 Visibility: World
Thanx matthias. I fully agree with you.
I just saw that the "last posts" on the startpage is back. :-) Now I am happy again.