First, thanks for your work and this website.
I have a few (technical) suggestions I would recommend to show transparency and freedom for users:
- like google or facebook, free data: allow to export or import all your data account (profile, list of contacts, pictures, forum posts, ...) if possible in a Open format (txt/html, vcf, ...)
- Publish more statistics easily readable (one page). The one of CS doesn't seem so bad to me (http://www.couchsurfing.org/statistics.html) but should show "active users" (something like users logged in the last 6 months)
Next, there should be Help page/how to in case of incident: bad behavior or more serious, harassment or rape. I had on another network some feedback of how admins handle incidents and that's the minimum. Something like
- take report
- allow both side to answer depending on time available
- if big, advise to quickly report to police and fill a complain fast (necessary to preserve evidence)
- if proof or repeated reports, backup all informations/tchat/profile/picture, close account, make them available to police (eventually ask someone for local translation), ...
- make a watch list, for example, bad report or conviced for harassment/rape for girls travelling.
- watch new account creation to avoid people creating new profile (something like an alert to admin if same/similar profile is created)
It's not the role of BW to be judge, but trying to help.