Posts tagged with : Community News for the frontpage
The site was just updated to support the new ToU that became active at the same time.
Additionally to the changes for the ToU some bugfixes and updates happened:
- The editor for forum posts etc. was updated to the latest version (some options where disabled at the same time that were rarely used)
- The suggestions feature now has a <a href="/suggestions/results">list of results</a>. So that you can easily browse through the history of suggestions.
- The first suggestion was already implemented and the community gallery was removed as a result.
- It is no longer possible to post into groups you're not a member of. With the old behaviour you could post into a group and never be able to see that post.
- The translation backend was rewritten, so that the translators have less work keeping the site up-to-date while knowing better what needs to be updated. As a result of that some areas might now show English text where they showed a translation before (as the English text was updated and the translaton hasn't been checked yet).
- The FAQ pages are a lot prettier now,
A complete list of changes can be found on Trac.
We want to start the new year with a public meeting of the Board of Directors (BoD). On Tuesday 7th January, 2014 at 20:30 CET we will meet on http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=bevolunteer. If you want to join, please join with your BeWelcome username. You can already check out the agenda of the meeting, but we will probably still add some points by next Tuesday.
The idea of the public meeting is that you can read our discussions in real time. However, in order to ensure an efficient workflow you cannot participate in the discussions unless you are asked to.
You can also check the minutes of our last BoD meeting to see, what topics we dealt with then.
Happy New Year to all of you!
Claudia for the BeVolunteer Board of Directors
2013 was a very positive year for BeWelcome - membership doubled, activity on the website increased markedly, new features were introduced, and the website massively improved. More importantly, this increased activity also resulted in a lot more real-life encounters, hospitality and cultural exchange.
All this would be impossible without the volunteers of BeWelcome who are busy administrating the website, answering to feedback, communicating with members, the media and the public, designing and developing the website, discussing improvements, drafting texts, handling spam and abuse, helping members to find their way around, moderating discussions, offering support, organizing volunteer teams, unconferences and meetings, testing new software, translating the website, welcoming new members, and a lot more.
We would like to thank all of our fellow current and former volunteers for their work and commitment, the time and energy they spend for improving BeWelcome and supporting members. BeWelcome could not exist without you!
Happy New Year!
Claudia (claudiaab), Pablo (pablobd) and Rima (sitatara)
Members of the Board of Directors
PS: Would you like to become a volunteer, too? Please visit our "Get Active" page and contact the team you'd like to join.
What are the changes and why are we making this update?
1. Making them easier to read:
2. Making important regulations transparent:
3. Removing redundancies:
During the last General Assembly (GA) a new Board of Directors (BoD) has been elected. So far the new BoD has had an informal meeting to constitute the positions of the board members and a formal BoD meeting.
In between meetings we execute decisions, prepare for the next meeting, take care of the day to day issues and of course continue with our regular volunteering tasks. This time we also had to approve of the minutes of the last GA. They are now published and official.
We want to keep the interested BeWelcome and BeVolunteer members informed about what is going on. All the decisions made during the meetings, but also those made in between meetings can be found in the meeting reports. There we also publish the agenda for the next meeting (it's usually the top meeting report, you will see from the date and a note, whether it's the agenda for the next meeting or the report of the last meeting).
Our next meeting will take place on 10th December at 20:00 CET. We have several applications to discuss and so this meeting will be private. We're in the process of opening at least parts of our future meetings, and will have more to report soon.